The UC Riverside School of Medicine Community College Outreach Mentorship Program matches local community college students who are interested in becoming a physician and who intend to transfer to UCR to complete their undergraduate education with UCR medical students in a mentor/mentee program.
The program will host various activities throughout the 2021-2022 academic year.
A mandatory orientation session, via Zoom, will be held on Thursday, October 21, 2021, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. or Friday, October 22, 2021, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. to review mentor and mentee expectations and the program activities.
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicant must be currently enrolled in a community college in Riverside and/or San Bernardino County.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old by September 1, 2021, to participate in the program.
- Only students who have not received a bachelor's degree are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must have a strong interest in becoming a physician (M.D./D.O.). We are not offering mentoring programs for other healthcare interests at this time (i.e. physician assistant, nursing, physical therapist, etc.).
- Students who are interested in transferring to UC Riverside for their undergraduate education are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The time commitment will be from October 2021 to April 30, 2022. Meetings will be online using your preferred platform.
- Mentee (community college student) will be matched with a mentor (UCR medical student) and required to meet for 1 hour each month to go over the monthly assignment. Activities include goal setting, resume building, problem-based learning activities, personal statement workshops, and more!
- Mentees will be required to submit monthly assignments (i.e. resume, personal statement, journal entries, etc.) to the program coordinator. More information will be provided once accepted into the program.
- Attend the mandatory mentorship orientation where we will review mentor and mentee expectations and the program activities.
Applying to the Program
Individuals interested being a mentee need to fill out our online application and have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member, advisor, community member, or employer no later than October 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. No letters from families or friends will be accepted.